The DHS Service Training Website is another great source of valuable trainings! Many of these trainings are open to Child Welfare Providers in addition to DHS staff. Individuals enroll themselves in upcoming classes and webinars. This effort encourages public and private child welfare workers to learn together and discuss policy and practice.
DHS Training Opportunities! November - December, 2013
- November 4th-8th, 8:30-4:30 each day, 30 hours training, 34.2 continuing education held at Mid-Iowa Family Therapy & Hoover Building, Des Moines, IA. Trainers: Lori Mozena, MS, LMFT, Christine Secrist, PhD, LMFT, Jana Rhoads, Tony Montoya and Sue Potter with up to 36 SW CEUs available.
- November 4th & 5th, CP 803 “Differential Response Supervisory Training,” 8:30-4:30 pm each day, 6 hours training held at Polk County River Place, 2309 Euclid Ave., Des Moines, IA. CEUs are pending.
- November 7th, Webinar SW 500 “Social Work Ethics” 9:00-12:00 pm, 3 hours presentation via webinar. This training fulfills the 3 hours Ethics requirement for SW licensing. DHS employees only. Presenter: Tom Eachus.
- November 12 th, SP 533 “Shared Parenting” 8:30 am-4:00 pm, 6 hours training held in Ames. Instructors: Shelly Ramus, Kim Hanson and Jo Ann Lee.
- November 14th -15th SW 071 “Legal Aspects of Social Work” 8:30 am-4:30 pm each day, 12 hours training in Des Moines/Clive. Instructor: Mike Bandstra with up to 14.4 CEUs available.
- November 18th-21st, SW 020 “Foundations of Social Worker 2 Practice” 8:30-4:30 each day, 24 hours training held at Polk County River Place, Des Moines. Instructors: Kim Hanson and Shelly Ramus with up to 28.8 SW CEUs available.
- November 22 nd, SW 072 “Testifying in Juvenile Court” 8:30 am-4:30 pm, 6 hours training in Des Moines/Clive. Instructors: Judge Eisenhauer, Cory McClure and Mike Bandstra with up to 7.2 CEUs available.
- SP 306 “Responding Differently – Conducting Family Assessment in Iowa’s Child Welfare System” 8:30 am-4:30 pm each day, 6 hours training at the following locations and dates. Instructors: Lori Frick, Leah Kinnaird, Lori Mozena, Mindy Norwood & Jana Rhoads. CEUs are pending.
- oNovember 18th-19th in Des Moines
- oNovember 21st in Davenport
- oNovember 22nd in Muscatine
- December 3rd- 5th, SP 534 “Family Team Decision Making” 8:30 am-4:30 pm each day, 18 Hours training held in Ames. Instructors Lori Mozena, MS,LMFT, Christine Secrist PhD, Katie Obert and Shelly Ramus with up to 21.6 CEUs available.
- December 9th, 16th & 19th SP 150 “Child Welfare Practice in Iowa” 3 sequential webinars held 10:00 am-11:30 am; Instructors: Kim Hanson and Shelly Ramus, with up to 5.4 SW CEUs available.
- December 11th, SP 434 “Youth Transition Decision Making” 8:30 am-4:30 pm each day, 6 hours training in Marion. Previous training in SP 534 Family Team Decision Making or the equivalent family team meeting training sponsored by CPPC is a prerequisite. Instructors: Wendy Havemann, Gloria Johnson and Shelby Zirbel with up to 7.8 SW CEUs available.
- December 12th, SW 073 “Permanency & Termination of Parental Rights – 8:30 am-4:00 pm, 6 hours training in Des Moines/Clive. Instructors: Iowa Court of Appeals Judge Larry Eisenhauer and Cory McClure, JD. With up to 7.2 CEUs available.
- SP 306 “Responding Differently-Conducting Family Assessment in Iowa’s Child Welfare System” 8:30am-4:30 pm each day, 6 hours training at the following locations and dates. Instructors: Lori Frick, Leah Kinnaird, Lori Mozena, Mindy Norwood & Jana Rhoads. CEUs are pending.
- oDecember 2nd-3rd in Washington
- oDecember 5th in Waterloo
- oDecember 6th in Mason City
- oDecember 9th in Denison
- oDecember 10th in Storm Lake
Reminder: New SW IIs must take SW 020 Foundations for Social Worker 2 Practice and new SW IIIs must take CP 200 Basic Training prior to caseload assignments.
Register Now! Please note this is not a complete listing of courses. Check the website for additional courses.
- There is no cost to attend these courses and CEU’s are often available.
- Please enroll promptly to secure your seat via the DHS Service Training Website @ http://servicetraining.hs.iastate.edu/
- You must have an account – if you do not – see instructions below.
- After signing in, go to the Training Categories drop down box and go to the series you are in which you are registering.
- Then choose the course and date you wish to register for.
- You will receive an email confirmation.
Step 1 - Log In
For individuals who do not have an account: Open the website and click on the login prompt in the upper right hand corner of the home page. Please set up your own account by following the instructions for “first time here” on the login page. Accounts must be set up before you can register in a course session. For supervisor please record their email address.
After you have logged in, you may begin registering for course sessions.
Step 2 – Registering for classes
Use the navigation bar at the top of the screen and hover over Training Categories. Select and click on one of the categories that appear. Scroll through the available courses. For courses that you are interested in, click on that course, say “yes” when question pops up so that you can access more detail regarding the course. You register for a course by clicking on a selected date and the sign-up under Options.
This website is a collaborative effort between the Iowa Department of Human Services (IDHS) and the Iowa State University Child Welfare Project.