The DHS Service Training Website is another great source of valuable trainings! Many of these trainings are open to Child Welfare Providers in addition to DHS staff. Individuals enroll themselves in upcoming classes and webinars. This effort encourages public and private child welfare workers to learn together and discuss policy and practice.
Training Opportunities! February – April, 2014
Registration @ Service Training Website
Training opportunities from the partnership between DHS and Iowa State University.
- SP 307 “Differential Response Training for SW 2’s ” 2 hour trainings at the following locations and dates. Audience is DHS Staff only. Up to two training hours. (Dates for other Service Areas will be added to the Training Website as information is received.) Please note: if staff are not registered in advance, they may not receive credit for taking the course and be unable to obtain a certificate so it’s reflected in their training history.
Western Iowa Service Area
- oFebruary 6 8:30 am-10:30 am in Carroll.
- oFebruary 6 9:00 am-11:00 am in Orange City.
- oFebruary 20 2:00 pm-4:00 pm in Council Bluffs.
- oFebruary 21 10:00 am-12:00 pm in Council Bluffs.
- oFebruary 27 10:00 am-12:00 pm in Spencer.
Eastern Iowa Service Area
- February 19 9:30 am-11:30 am in Davenport
- February 19 1:00 pm-3:00 pm in Davenport
- February 11th, Webinar CC 859 “Family Safety” – Supervisory Seminar 1:30-2:30 pm, 1 hour presentation via webinar.
- February 21st, SP 401 “Abusive Head Trauma in Children” 8:30 am-4:30 pm, 6 hours training in Des Moines. Presenter: Resmiye Oral, M.D., Child Abuse Program Director, University of Iowa Children's Hospital. CEUs are pending.
- February 21st, Webinar CC 354 “Evaluating the Drug Case: Easy Ways to Bolster the Child Protective Assessment” 1:30-3:00 pm, 1 hour 30 minutes presentation via webinar. Presenters: Paul Kraus and Kristi Traynor, Assistant Attorneys General.
- March 4th - 6th, SP 534 “Family Team Decision Making” 8:30 am-4:30 pm each day, 18 Hours training held in Ames. Instructors Lori Mozena, MS,LMFT, Christine Secrist PhD, Katie Obert and Shelly Ramus with up to 21.6 CEUs available.
- March 7th, SP 434 “Youth Transition Decision Making” 8:30 am-4:30 pm, 6 hours training at held at in Ames. SP 534 Family Team Decision Making or the equivalent family team meeting training sponsored by CPPC is a prerequisite. Instructors: Wendy Havemann and Shelby Zirbel with up to 7.8 SW CEUs available.
- March 11th, Webinar CC 860 “Family Partnership” – Supervisory Seminar 1:30-2:30 pm, 1 hour presentation via webinar.
- March 27th, SP 539 “Facilitating FTDM with Domestic Violence” 8:30 am-4:30 pm 6 Hours training held in Des Moines. SP 534 Family Team Decision Making or an equivalent family team meeting training sponsored by CPPC is a prerequisite. Instructors: Leah Kinnaird and Shelly Ramus with up to 12.25 CEUs available.
- April 2nd – 4th, SP 300 “Application of Legal & Medical Issues” 8:30 am-4:30 pm each day, 18 hours training in Des Moines. Instructors: Dr. Resmiye Oral, M.D., Cory McClure, JD and Glen Pille, JD with up to 21.6 SW CEUs available.
- April 8th, Webinar CC 861 “Family Led Assessments” – Supervisory Seminar 1:30-2:30 pm, 1 hour presentation via webinar.
- SP 539 “Facilitating FTDM with Domestic Violence” 8:30 am-4:30 pm 6 Hours training held at the locations listed below. SP 534 Family Team Decision Making or an equivalent family team meeting training sponsored by CPPC is a prerequisite. Instructors: Leah Kinnaird and Shelly Ramus with up to 12.25 CEUs available.
- oApril 9 8:30 am-4:30 am in Council Bluffs.
- oApril 10 8:30 am-4:30 am in Sioux City.
- oApril 16 8:30 am – 4:30 pm in Davenport.
- oApril 17 8:30 am – 4:30 pm in Burlington.
- April 28th - May 1st, SW 020 “Foundations of Social Worker 2 Practice” 8:30-4:30 each day, 24 hours training held in Des Moines. Instructors: Kim Hanson and Shelly Ramus with up to 28.8 SW CEUs available.
Register Now! Please note this is not a complete listing of courses. Check the website for additional courses.
- There is no cost to attend these courses and CEU’s are often available.
- Please enroll promptly to secure your seat via the DHS Service Training Website @ http://servicetraining.hs.iastate.edu/
- You must have an account – if you do not – see instructions below.
- After signing in, go to the Training Categories drop down box and go to the series you are in which you are registering.
- Then choose the course and date you wish to register for.
- You will receive an email confirmation.
Step 1 - Log In
For individuals who do not have an account: Open the website and click on the login prompt in the upper right hand corner of the home page. Please set up your own account by following the instructions for “first time here” on the login page. Accounts must be set up before you can register in a course session. For supervisor please record their email address.
After you have logged in, you may begin registering for course sessions.
Step 2 – Registering for classes
Use the navigation bar at the top of the screen and hover over Training Categories. Select and click on one of the categories that appear. Scroll through the available courses. For courses that you are interested in, click on that course, say “yes” when question pops up so that you can access more detail regarding the course. You register for a course by clicking on a selected date and the sign-up under Options.
This website is a collaborative effort between the Iowa Department of Human Services (IDHS) and the Iowa State University Child Welfare Project.